History Of Greystone Manor

The Greystone Manor was built for John Hamilton Stuart and his family in 1912, after 4 years of construction andwas converted into a B&B guest house in 1988. It is fully licensed and inspected andmeet current building safety codes as by the City of Niagara Falls. Your hostess, Barbara, purchased this bed and breakfast on November 22, 2013. Barbara was actually the realtor who had listed the B&B for sale, but fell in love with charm and Barbara decided to make this their home.  Rob, the previous owner, had spent years restoring this historic century home to its original splendor. Wherever possible, the original architecture of this home has been retained, including the century old hardwood floors, crown moldings and impressive woodwork.  

After years of renovations, the charm of yesterday and the modern conveniences of today came together to create a gracious and unique, yet comfortablehome.  The bed and breakfast guest rooms are spacious, offering queen size beds, central air conditioning with in-room controls, mini fridges, TV , wireless internet access and private bathrooms (most en suite) with hair flow dryers .  Each B&B guest room isunique with features such as a private entrance from the  front garden, views of the Niagara River Gorge or French doors that lead to a second level balcony.  From 3of the rooms and the common area, one can enjoy the panoramic view of the Niagara Gorge.  And in the calm of the morning or evening, from the front porchof Greystone Manor Bed and Breakfast, one can hear the powerful rumble of the Falls .   

The area offers points of historical interest also. Heading south from Greystone Manorguests may enjoy a stroll about 20 minutes to the point known a Table Rock which is at the brink of the falls.  Or stroll about 10 north toQueen Street which is the true downtown of Niagara Falls.  One will notice that this area is eclectic with homes and businesslarge or small , new or old.  Thefew blocks along River Road closest to Greystone Manor Bed and Breakfast feature older stately homes.  This is due in part to the fact that"  In 1897, the Niagara Falls Chamber of Commerce announced that the two mile area between the Falls and the Falls View Suspension Bridge would be developed for businesses and upscale housing. By 1900, the age of electricity converted Niagara Falls into a boom town.  In the early 1900's, concerns over pollution became a major issue andHenry D. Perky of the Natural Food Company spearheaded a pollution clean-up drive.  The result of this drive was the removal of the majority of mills from the famous Mill District along the edge of the Niagara gorge downstream of the Falls over the next forty years leaving the grand homes owned by the local business owners."  

information provide by:

 http://www.niagarafallsinfo.com/history-item.php?entry_id=1411&current_category_id=108

summary of the history of Table rockhttp://www.niagarafrontier.com/front.html

http://www.niagarafalls.ca/living/about-niagara-falls/facts.aspx

In the morning, guests gather in the B&B's grand dining room for a full, hot breakfast and as much as possible of the lifestyle of the turn of the century is recreated. Breakfast is served family style at 9:00 which was  typically the time for breakfast around that time period which Greystone Manor was built.  This 'late' morning  large breakfast gave the men a full belly so they could go out for the full day of hunting , horse riding, or farming.  Families grew their own food and there were no supermarkets. During the Industrial revolution of the 19th Century as  lifestyles began to change, food become more readily available to purchase and the full English breakfast really emerged as a typical breakfast for most families.

Please join us for breakfast .  Step back in time when  food was real and  friendly conversation was the primary entertainment.

Did you know...

At the time that Greystone Manor was under construction, The Model T Ford was introduced at a price of $825.  Due to efficient mass production, by 1925 the price of a 2 door Model T was only $260.  The carriage house ( aka Topaz room) was converted to  carport for a vehicle and around 1950 the garage was added on behind the dining room. 

In 1900, Niagara Falls was home to 20,000 people. By 1910, the population had increased to 30,000. In 2011 was only 82,00. That is an average increase of only about 468 people per year since in the past 111 years.

The piano in the Great Room was built in 1856. Parlor music, and piano playing in particular, epitomized gentility throughout the Victorian period. The piano symbolized good taste and the moral respectability that the culture increasingly defined as part of true refinement. To play the piano meant that a person had the time, refinement, and money to acquire this accomplishment. Piano playing also had a moral dimension. The culture promoted music as part of a serene, civilized domestic atmosphere that provided a refuge from the rough-and-tumble world of work and politics. This view complemented the period's emphasis on the role of women as nurturers and keepers of the home circle. A young woman with perfect posture gracefully playing the piano within a genteel and comfortable family circle was a compelling image for turn-of-the-century Americans

Guests are very welcome to gently play the piano and touch history.

 http://www.americancenturies.mass.edu/turns/view.jsp?itemid=1234&subthemeid=4

 

 


Other Interesting History

Wm Rogers and his wife Agnes purchase Greystone Manor  in 1926. They were the 2nd owners. This is a photo of the William Rogers Manufacturing Co. Limited as it appears on p. 173 of Images of a Century.  The photo caption indicates this is the staff in August 1945, which was after the time period during which William and Agnes lived here.

" William Rogers Manufacturing company began operations here in 1911, and in 1922 became the International Silver Company.  Its plant was located at the corner of Buttrey Street and River Road, in the Glenview area of town.  After operations moved to Perth in 1963 the office building was demolished.  Most of the factory remained and for some years housed an automobile dealership.  It was later incorporated into a Buddhist temple."